Joseph Harris uses the term 'forwarding' in his literary work, "Rewriting" to describe one process of how to write. In chapter two of his book it is all about this abstract idea of forwarding. He writes, "As I use the term, a writer forwards a text by taking words, images, or ideas from it and putting them to use in new contexts." I am in complete agreement with this definition. This blog post can actually serve as an example of this process. As I write and continue to expand upon this term I am using his original definition but morphing it to serve for my own purpose.
Over the course of two weeks I have found that the two blogs I follow often use this process of forwarding to expand upon a topic usually to morph it into their point of view. Powerline uses this method in many of its post one of the most recent titled, "President Obama's selective 'innocence'" written November 2nd, 2009. This post covers the question raised about Obama's foreign policies. In this the author pulls from Scott Wilson who writes for the Washington Post. He uses this to give background experience that Obama has of being a community organizer in south Chicago. This is important to the blog post because it defines this certain aspect about President Obama's approach to foreign policy that would not have been brought to light before with just the author's view. Bringing in Wilson gives support to the author's idea of Obama not having any particular policy toward the world instead it is just his underlying ideology that shows.
No comments:
Post a Comment