In the most unfortunate event I was required to read Chris Hedges's literary piece, "Bad Day for Newsrooms-and Democracy." I am pleased to say, though, it was not nearly the rant that his other article, "America the Illiterate", was. I do find it disturbing if there really are 6,000 journalists losing their jobs but I cannot be certain to say that because he did not provide a source for this statistic. Once again I hardly stood beside Hedges's views because I believe the corrupt news reports began with the newspapers themselves and have since then traveled to all other news sources if that corruption really has occurred. Sadly I do not have many thoughts on this article simply because it was very short and did not cover very much at all and I would prefer to discuss the other author I read.
Clive Thompson was this new author in a piece called, "Clive Thompson on New Literacy." I loved this piece because it was short, simple, and right to the point. He also had valid evidence to support his thoughts unlike Hedges. This form of writing is very opposite to Hedges's and this piece is in direct conflict with the first piece of Hedges's that I had read. As for the second work its’ topic does not directly relate to Clive Thompson's piece very well.
Thompson finally is the one who gets it. We (meaning my generation) do use slang and do not always write with proper English when we are texting or using the internet but we sure do write a lot in whatever form we choose and we read tons. I am slightly afraid to say this considering this blog will be put on the wall of forever, that is the internet, but I have what I think to be this weird habit. Whenever there are signs or anything with writing I have to read it (that is if I am not already occupied). If other people share this habit with me that in itself just proves Thompson is right and Hedges is wrong because that means literacy is ingrained into the vast majority of us.
I can strongly prove as evidence to Thompson’s reports because I myself carry most all of the habits mentioned in his piece, “Clive Thompson on New Literacy.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You did well to measure your own experiences against what Thompson writes. Those are just the types of literacy habits he is writing about.
ReplyDelete