Sunday, September 13, 2009

Monkey See; Monkey Do

Harris has a very interesting view point on writing. The irony of that previous sentence is eminent. I say this because I have incorporated his words into my own already. What I am specifically referring to is 'interesting'. He says that there are three main referrals when the word interest comes into play. I too am using all three "definitions" with this term. I find this to be the best way to describe his writing because he himself incorporates all his meanings of interest into his work. This along with the book format is key to getting his thoughts across the page and into his readers' own thoughts simply by practicing what he is preaching

In his work Harris also places an emphasis on the tediousness of writing this was originally very contradictory to my view on blogging. When it comes to the blog I see it as a form of saying exactly what you think as you think it and rushing to finish it, as I am now in hopes to meet my time requirement. This was until I made the connection from Harris's work to blogging. He says it’s a way of forwarding thoughts by incorporating others' thoughts too. This directly relates to the internet for two reasons: One by using the word 'forwarding' as would be used in email and two because the application of that idea into non-virtual text. Although there are various differences in the since of virtual and non-virtual text they all have a certain degree of tediousness and other textual incorporations. In non-virtual text it may take weeks, months, or year to get a piece published because of rigorous research and other textual incorporations. In blogging publication is immediate and does not allow for rigorous research incorporation but it does allow for hyperlinks allowing for the reader to directly look at your source just by a click of a button. This in itself is what makes the difference of writing mediums equal because one my not have what the other haves but they do both have different forms completing the same goal.

1 comment:

  1. In enjoyed your opening comments upon "interesting," and I am glad you and Harris are reclaiming the word from vacuity and overuse. Those comments are always a good example of the interconnectedness of ideas and texts that Harris writes about.

    ReplyDelete