Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Instant Information

Andrew Sullivan and Jeff Jarvis would both agree that the way news gets around now days is different to how it was. Now it is instant and can come with more depth than traditional news sources thanks to hyperlinks online along with reader responses giving new and different perspectives to the topics. To compare Sullivan and Jarvis I do believe they would have a common believe in Jarvis's diagram of the new way information gets around in his article, "The press becomes the press-sphere." I say this because Sullivan writes in his article, "Why I blog" that he not only begins topics of discussion using what he knows but will learn from his readers comment also. This indicates the give and take relationship that he has with his blog and readers. To contrast the two authors I believe that Sullivan would view Jarvis's diagram of "the new news process" differently. I believe that Sullivan would have placed discussion, answers, and questions on the right side of the story box. This would be because Sullivan believes blogging creates an atmosphere of discussion. In the blog world this cannot happen until the story has been brought up by the blogging author. This sort of new news process I think can be found more often than Jarvis's take. I have actually seen Sullivan's take in several cases such as conversations and on online newspapers like The New York Times for example.
Aside from the different takes on the life of the news between Sullivan and Jarvis I think the two authors would be able to support each other very well in both of their articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment