Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Sphere

What first comes to mind when I hear the word sphere is a ball. To me a ball in one entity, continuous forever in that it has no edges or end. This represents the flow of news in our culture very well now days. I have actually always thought of news to be this way, living and breathing, but Jarvis is the first I have heard of anyone really defining this. I also do believe he is right to say that the news still thinks of themselves in the old fashion instead of this pool of information around the people.
Reading the article by Jeff Jarvis, "The press becomes the press-sphere" really did not do much for me at all. I think the reason for this is because that is how I have thought all my life. So, to read Jarvis's article that I feel skimped the topic did not intrigue me to think any more deeply about it. I did however like the illustrations because I am a very visual person so seeing the press-sphere diagram gave me a visual representation of how I think of the press. I also think it illustrated the life of a story in such a way that it makes it like the blood of the press-sphere’s life.
Despite my lack of interest in this article I would invite others to read this because I think it is a great form of persuasion to get someone to see it how I do. And to also just get someone to perhaps not think like you but to at least reflect on how they get their information.

No comments:

Post a Comment