Friday, October 23, 2009
Rebounded
I have been following and documenting the following news informative cites; The New York Times, The Atlantic; The Daily Dish, and Powerline since October 21st. Over the last three days I have begun to see repetition in style and information. I first want to note that the two blogs always have stories from the current day on their site by nightfall where as The New York Times has the stories the following morning. This would seem to give the blogs a 'one-up' over The New York Times but the newspapers cite always has the stories covered in more detail and with better cohesion. The next item the stuck out to me was that all three sites have some sort of story covered everyday pertaining to a general topic. The topic I personally am following in all three is anything related to health care and Obama. All the stories covered in each site give both sides to the issue a voice but still obtain a preference. The most interesting phenomenon I have come across thus far was the reoccurrence of a particular story in The New York Times and The Atlantic. On October 22nd the blurb titled, "Galluping to a Conclusion" written in The Atlantic was engrained in the article written by The New York Times the following day. This event really took me back. If you compare the two articles there are several sentences and phrases that are exactly the same. This really makes me question how this happened and if this infringes copy right laws. Discovering the similar stories this morning I have been pondering where the news really gets its information. I have yet to come to a conclusion but have a few scenarios. Either A) the news just circulates from one company to the next or B) they all get their news from a source and then it is construed by each news company. I hope by keeping written documents of the three cites I am following I will be able to answer my question later on this semester.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My guess would be that both the blogs and the Times based their stories upon poll results reported by Gallup. But that wouldn't necessarily explain all the similarities.
ReplyDeleteThis kind of attention to the circulation of news and the relationship of news and blog sites is exactly what I'm looking for in this unit. Well done.