Literally all I can think about when I hear of or see the words 'The New York Times' is Spiderman. Bizarre, I know. Since the new movies came out when I was in junior high I had yet to really develop any knowledge about The New York Times as at all. So when I saw the movies it was my first real encounter. The belief that was instilled into me because of this was that this paper always tried to report the truth but sometimes bent it to get a better story. As a result my very first thought when my English professor said we would be following The New York Times was, "oh, great." I am pleased to say that my prior perception has been changed.
Perhaps this can be accounted for by my desire to become an engineer but I always keep an open mind or will at least open it after I get some more facts to sway me. With this considered I have applied this characteristic to my reading of The New York Times. Following two other blogs along the way has helped significantly because I can compare information thus implementing a sort of checks and balances system. The day that really changed my mind was October 23rd when I found that The New York Times’ report on Senator Reid was extremely similar to the blog post on October 22nd by The Atlantic. I still find the high number of similarities to put me at bay with how information is found in the news industry, as I talked about in my prior post, but it made me realize The New York Times stuck to the story pretty well.
Reading The New York Times has made me become more interested in politics and what is going on in general. I have found I am lured toward anything related to Obama and the health care plan along with scientific reports which can be attributed by my nature of curiosity. I am surprised but not surprised at all that there has been a report on health care every day. It makes me wonder if any of it is inflated so that they always have a story or if that much really happens every day. I would also like to note that documenting all of the sites I am following has helped me to think more analytically about everything and it has changed the detail I put into my notes to a very small degree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment