After reading through a few blogs and participating in the class discussion the biggest emotion our classmates have--in relation to being informed--is guilt. We all feel this way because we don’t believe we are as up-to-date as we should be. I don't know that it is really so much our fault but a mere lack of experience. Right now for all of us in my class we are only freshman or sophomores (from what I am aware of). With this most of us are young and just out of high school getting to be on our own. For many this can be a rough time; challenging our knowledge and ability to time manage. In my eyes this is directly related to the overall feeling of guilt. We do care about current events but it may not seem that way because we don't know where to get our news or how to fit time into our schedule.
In our class I found our active/passive discussion very interesting. It really surprised me that so many people passively received their news. I knew that’s what I did most of the time but I never would have thought the majority did too. Hearing this in class I thought of what we could do to fix this problem. It wasn't until 20 minutes ago when I read Amanda's blog post that I found an idea I really liked. Most all of us drive. So we also listen to the radio too. Instead of listening to music, like most everyone does. we could change the channel to talk radio news. My mother has actually done this for a significant amount of time and she is one of the most informed yet not politically engaged people I know. This is a small and simple way that we can become greatly more informed. I and hope others will do this to become more informed to better myself and my country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
True listening to stations like NPR would be good instead of music, but will we really do it is the question that we need to ask our self. I think we can gain a lot from some stations but I've tried listening to these stations and for the most part whenever I do listen to them I end up falling asleep at the road(bad news bears). Still this is better than not doing anything and is most definitely a start.
ReplyDeleteGlad you liked that idea of turning on NPR! I have been pretty good about it lately, although I still many times have to resist the urge to hit "play" on the CD player in the middle of a dull story.
ReplyDelete