Friday, October 30, 2009

News Ecology

Neither of the two blogs I am reading have made reference to The New York Times specifically but they have both cited other big papers to support their information and facts. As for The New York Times I have yet to see an article that has cited a blog or any other smaller news outlets to support its information. This observation can be correlated to Jarvis's new press-sphere. Big news industries like The New York Times would be the base to all the other smaller news outlets like the two blogs I read. In my revision of Jarvis's me-sphere I would make the press circle larger since this is where the base of information comes from even if people do not get it directly from the press.

Now that I have been following these sites for about two weeks I can see how they play into the grand news ecosystem. Something interesting I came across just today were edits made on Sullivan's blog. They kept the prior information but would mark through it once and then write the correct information. This was a great display of how news outlets give and take; always correcting and discussing topics. I have also seen how some writers have struggled to continue a story when not much has happened in one day. This happened today in The New Times. Every day they have some sort of update on the health care bill but, today’s article was about Jon Coburn’s part in the health care bill. This sort of scrounging to find anything about a topic to write on demonstrates the rise and fall of energy in the stories itself and the news ecosystem.

With all of this I have decided that the press is the base to news sources despite Jarvis’s views and that information the press releases may not get to the people from them directly but it will eventually through other sources like the web, parents, media, and peers. Now do I not only see how the news lives within the ecosystem of Jarvis's press-sphere but how the stories bear a life of their own too.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you noticed edits on Sullivan's blog. That reminds me of the process becoming the product, as Jarvis says. It is as though we are witnessing the writing in almost real time.

    As you said, you're more likely to see the blogs citing the Times or other influential papers than you are to see the Times referencing blogs. Generally it is the Times and similar papers that set the news agenda. But blogs and other outlets do sometimes take the lead and force the papers to follow. The ACORN story is a good example of that.

    ReplyDelete